Saturday, April 14, 2012

la niña misionera


General life update … less than 6 months to go in BVS (well, more like a little less than 7, but there will be a month of tying up loose ends / vagabonding / visiting / cherishing / goodbye-ing, which I am not mentally counting quite yet.  I’m getting anxious to move on; not necessarily anxious to actually get on the plane and leave El Salvador, but definitely looking forward to not being so tied to Emmanuel Baptist and their ways of doing things … Some staff have left … one quit in early February, one was let go in December (if I’m not mistaken), another let go in January or early February, and one is currently in the process of finishing the last 2 weeks of their work, having submitted their resignation letter within the last few weeks.  So things are rocky around here.  Salvadoran morale is low, which makes mine plummet to new depths.
I’m nervous about the sustainability of keeping Emmanuel Baptist as a BVS project.  There, I said it.  Publicly.  I’ve mentioned this to many of you, I’m sure, and it’s something that’s been nagging at me since last year even, but with each passing day, week, month, the nagging continues.  I know at least in terms of funding this is often the case with programs in Latin America, but it seems here that the church relies on people to keep their projects / interests going, rather than there being a way to pass on the torch, so to speak.  At this point, the peace program is not rolling in the dough, and if Josué or I leave, or both of us, it’s quite likely that for lack of funding and lack of personnel, the program will founder.  Even though it is an absolutely imperative and noble thing for Salvadoran society, at both the local and national level.  We haven’t done much networking outside of the church itself, partly because there are only two of us, and partly because there seems to be a way of making connections that involves the pastor as the face of the program, rather than myself or Josué.  Quite frankly, that dampens my outlook and initiative to set something up, if I have to wait for the pastor to give me the go-ahead.  One would think he would be quite open to letting the program flourish and brag about having two committed young adults as the ones who made it into what it is, but that does not seem to be the case.  Even so, I am going to work on networking, with other churches, organizations, NGOs, government groups, universities, etc.  I know I won’t be able to do all this in just a few months, but I want to get something going so that the program doesn’t fold if and when it happens to not have specific coordinators. 
………
Next up?  No idea.  3 job applications out:  1 I know I didn’t get, and 2 I just sent out this past Thursday.  And a possible thing near DC, but that’s in the works, and I haven’t committed, though in nearly all aspects sounds absolutely FANTASTIC.  Except one thing.  And I hate to get snagged on this one thing … known as dinero for you Spanish speakers … but with college loans and a credit card payment always looming, and no savings, it would be nice to be able to pay those off and put a little something away for a rainy day (read: trip to El Salvador to visit).
Your thoughts and opinions and ears and eyes would be much appreciated as I discern what could be next.  I do know I want to be in the US, I want to use my Spanish, and would like to be within a 6-hour-drive of my parents’ in central Pennsylvania.  The rest is up to the powers that be.

No comments:

Post a Comment